Friday 12th June 2020
Taxi drivers volunteer time to be community heroes during COVID-19
Duncan Self Drive have been getting involved helping those in need in the community
Alongside Wiltshire Council, volunteers and community groups across the county, throughout the COVID-19 situation, Duncan Self Drive have been getting involved to provide vital support and services to people most in need.
In an article published on the Wiltshire Council website, Clark Ferguson of Duncan Private Hire in Melksham said,
"During COVID-19, we have continued to deliver "Home to School" transport for vulnerable and key worker children, and have used our vehicles and drivers to support both planned and short notice tasks on behalf of Wiltshire Council's Passenger Transport Unit. We have been proud to support the council's response to the pandemic - delivering prescriptions, emergency food parcels, PPE, student learning resources and donations of Easter eggs and hand sanitiser across the county."
Regarding the support being provided, the article does on to say,
- Delivery of council emergency food parcels to vulnerable people
- Dispatch of PPE to hospitals, care homes and other frontline services
- Supporting pharmacies with the delivery of prescriptions
- Providing urgent transport to support the homeless team providing shelter for homeless people in Wiltshire
- Delivering emergency pet food to vulnerable residents with pets
- Transporting vulnerable and key worker children to schools
- Bringing chocolate joy with the delivery of thousands of donated Easter eggs to schools, nurseries, foodbanks and other good causes
The team has provided logistical support whenever and wherever it was required offering much welcomed additional capability to the council to transport people and vital supplies across the whole of Wiltshire, sometimes at very short notice."
Read the full article here:
Delivering PPE to care homes